10.06.2008

LDS General Conference


I always look forward to hearing from the leaders of the Church during General Conference. It is always just the pep-talk and reminder that I need to keep going and doing. There are always a couple talks that stick out in my mind.

Elder L. Tom Perry's talk on The Benefits of a Simplified Life hit three points of simplifying Food, Clothing, and Shelter, telling us to live the principles of the gospel and not to live beyond our means. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk on Coming What May and Loving It... Laughing instead of showing anger and the story of his daughter's unfortunate mistaken blind date HAHA! And the many more talks that were uplifting and inspiring.

Out of the talks that I listened to one quote stuck out in my head more than anything. I loved it when the Young Women's President Elaine S Dalton said, "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Isn't that so true. It's like a basketball game, if you are not willing to put forth the effort and in the extra time with practicing and preparing yourself to meet the obstacles you face or the opponent in this case, how can you expect to win. Sometimes I think that we underestimate our opponent and therefore we disreguard the preparation phase that we need to go through for the win. In our lives, I thought about how all of us want to have Eternal Life, but having that will is nothing without our will to prepare ourselves to gain Eternal Life. We need to put in the necessary preparation for the obstacles that we will face or in our case the great opponent, Satan. Sometimes we underestimate his cunningness. As I thought about this I thought of all the things that I could be doing better and it helped me to recommit to my goals and the will I have to win. Sister Dalton also said, "I can do all things in the strength of the Lord." This helped me realize that anything is possible through the Lord, if I have a will to prepare.



To watch LDS General Conference or listen to these talks go to http://www.lds.org/ and click on the Conference link.

7 comments:

Kurt and Tara Heath said...

I also loved these talks, they stuck out in my mind too! Especially everything about getting prepared- I am on a food storage kick lately- trying to get years of preperation done, in minutes:) I guess that also goes with living in our means! I love conference too- it is great to hear from all the leaders- thanks!!

Camille said...

My roommate and I did it to our neighbor boys. They threw a tomato at our door, so we used the popcorn to get them back. The used the popcorn and did it to us. There is still popcorn under the stairs and that was 2 years ago. To get them back for using our popcorn on us, we waited until the last day of the semester and collected like 40 boxes, 5 bags of shredded paper, and cooked spaghetti. It went clear up to the top of the door. We woke up at 3 in the morning to get them back. We sure were dedicated pranksters. hehehe There were other pranks we did, but these were the only ones I took pictures of.

Shels said...

What a great re-cap of the RS broadcast and General Conference! :) The guidance and encouragement we get from conference is well needed.

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

ditto. thanks for your thoughts. seriously, we can never be reminded enough.

Ashlee said...

I love conference too. I missed most of sister Daltons talk, so I'm glad you wrote about it. You're awesome!

Jacque said...

I, too enjoyed the Women's conference. I sure miss you! I hardly got to spend time with you!
COME BACK!!!

Christensen's said...

Didn't you just love that story that Elder Wirthlin told? It made me laugh sooo hard! That would be so embarassing. I can't even imagine. My favorite talk was by Elder Holland, Saturday afternoon session. He told the story about the boy who crossed the river at high tide. If you don't remember it, you should read it again. I loved it!